GETTING TO THE MENTAWAI ISLANDS
Getting to Mentawai Surf Camp requires planning. Currently, we offer various flexible schedules for guests to arrive to the camp depending on their needs, flight schedules, visas, preferences, and time restrictions.
We recommend the following:
- The Mentawai Islands lie approximately 150km off the coast of West Sumatra. The gateway to the islands is only via the city of Padang.
- Daily flights from Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta serve as your best option of arrival. All domestic airlines accept surfboards. We recommend the following airline based upon surfboard bag tolerance and punctuality: Air Asia and Garuda Indonesia
- Other Airline options include: Lion Air, & Citylink.
- Garuda Indonesia typically has 5 daily flights from Jakarta. Garuda does not have service from Kuala Lumpur to Padang
- Lion Air typically offers 3-5 daily services from Jakarta and 2 daily services from Kuala Lumpur.
- Air Asia:has daily services from Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta.
- The only way to get to the Mentawai Islands is by boat.
- Fast ferry boats leave the city of Padang every day. These public transfer ferries go to Siberut on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, then to Tuapejat the rest of the week days (refer to MAP).
- All our Package deals include return transfers from airport to camp and back any day of the week at no extra cost as long as you book minimum 7 nights.
- Guests will be transferred by our staff from Padang Airport to the hotel when they arrive to spend one night before catching the Ferry the following morning.
- Our staff will then pick guests up the next day at the hotel at around 6AM to transfer them to Padang Harbor.
- We offer all inclusive transfers on all of our night rates any day of the week (min booking 7 nights)
- We also offer a private speedboat upgrade that can save you Time and Money by avoiding the Padang overnight and up to 7 hours of public stop-overs.
- This Speedboat goes directly to our camp in 3 hours or less, has a toilet, is the fastest in the archipelago with 600HP and the most comfortable even in rough weather. It has direct transfer dropping you at the resort without any stop overs at Sikabaluan or Siberut. You will be able to choose to depart Padang anytime before 11am on your arrival, to avoid the initial overnight in Padang. Arrival back in Padang can also be arranged to suit your afternoon flight out of Padang from 5pm onwards. Check out our Rates page for packages and dates. You can inquire for an upgrade transfer quote.
- The public ferry departs Padang harbour at 7 AM and arrives to Sikabalua port at 10AM for a brief layover. Then, the ferry will continue its path to Siberut, arriving approximately at 12 PM. Once in Siberut, guests will be picked up by our staff on one of our speedboats to transfer them to our camp. Guests will arrive at 1 PM to have some lunch and afterwards, enjoy their first afternoon surf session.
- Once guests return from Mentawai Surf Camp upon completion of their surf trip, our staff will then take them from Padang Port to the hotel or directly to the airport.
- With our All-Inclusive packages, ferry tickets and taxis are included. Groundhog package includes Padang hotel accommodation. We take care of guests from the moment they land in Padang until they fly away at the end of their epic adventure with us.
- If any other travel arrangements, please let us know and we will try our best to find a way for you to get to the camp in a timely manner