GETTING TO THE MENTAWAI ISLANDS
Getting to Mentawai Surf Camp requires planning. Currently, we offer various flexible schedules for guests to arrive to the camp depending on their needs, flight schedules, visas, preferences, and time restrictions.
We recommend the following:
- The Mentawai Islands lie approximately 150km off the coast of West Sumatra. The gateway to the islands is only via the city of Padang.
- Daily flights from Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta serve as your best option of arrival. All domestic airlines accept surfboards. We recommend the following airline based upon surfboard bag tolerance and punctuality: Garuda Indonesia
- Other Airline options include: Lion Air, & Air Asia.
- Garuda Indonesia typically has 5 daily flights from Jakarta. Garuda does not have service from Kuala Lumpur to padang
- Lion Air typically offers 3-5 daily services from Jakarta and 2 daily services from Kuala Lumpur.
- Air Asia:has daily services from Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta.
- The only way to get to the Mentawai Islands is by boat.
- Fast ferry boats leave the city of Padang on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- We encourage all our guests to arrive to the city of Padang either on the Monday/Wednesday/Friday prior to the Fast Ferry departure on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday.
- Guests will be transferred by our staff from Padang Airport to the hotel when they arrive to spend one night before catching the Ferry the following morning.
- Our staff will then pick guests up the next day at the hotel at around 6AM to transfer them to Padang Harbor.
- The ferry departs Padang Harbor at 7 AM and arrives to Sikabalua port at 10AM for a brief layover. Then, the ferry will continue its path to Siberut, arriving approximately at 12 PM. Once in Siberut, guests will be picked up by our staff on one of our speedboats to transfer them to our camp. Guests will arrive at 1 PM to have some lunch and afterwards, enjoy their first afternoon surf session.
- Once guests return from Mentawai Surf Camp upon completion of their surf trip, our staff will then take them from Padang Port to the hotel. The next day, our staff will pick guests up to take them to Padang Airport.
- With our All-Inclusive package, ferry tickets and taxis are included, as well as two hotel nights. We take care of guests from the moment they land in Padang until they fly away at the end of their epic adventure with us.
- If your travel arrangements do not fit the above mentioned schedule, or if this itinerary currently presents a problem with your booking, please let us know and we will try our best to find a way for you to get to the camp in a timely manner